Monday, November 1, 2021

Ucogi and Alice updates

I have been working non stop for the past few months, and that should show from my posts here. I do hope that you can all experience soon all the hard work that has been put into this game.

A lot of progress has been made on my part, and Titan has already started working on the game once more. He will be working for another 20 days during November, as per our agreement. I'm not sure how many things we can finish up, but we will do out very best.

In the last 10 days I completed Alice's run animation. I had to draw her naked and put clothes on top, just like I did with Ucogi. Picking fitting shoes for Alice was a challenge, but I'm glad I got her to run with her bouncing boob in that loose top she wears all the time, without looking like a complete bimbo!

 

Also, I updated Rudy's runcycle. Rudy's weapons are balanced and her roll move has different controls and a shading effect. Her runcycle has been worked over and over the past few years and from what I could find I have worked on it for about 6 times. There's always something that bugged me in that animation, but yes, it's time to let it be..

same frame, different versions

When I don't work, I usually research and think of ways to improve the game. In my Youtube channel I added a couple of Rudy test videos, to check and avoid the mistakes of Castlevania SOTN and Zelda64, where the protagonist runs faster by rolling and backdashing.

The plans for this month is to fix any small bugs we come across. Add Ucogi and Alice if I can manage to finish their sprites. Complete the programming for Red (she needs to be harder as a Boss), Succubus 2 and Stheno. We need to finish Succogi and Succalice as well. And as many cutscenes as possible. And test it all.

 

Then, during December, I got to deal with a few more animations (like Stheno's scene, ending etc) and the final level design, which would be a huge task. And also I got to do the dialogues for over 80 NPCs and many e-panels. And many other things that must escape me right now. We are so close now and everything falls into place nicely!


13 comments:

  1. What you're doing through the last year (Or extremely near to it) has the signs of success, more so than before. I wish the two of you the best of luck at bringing things to their ending.

    A good idea, when it's done, is to think and feel through what was wrong about how it was done. To not make the same wrongness again with other projects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always tried to present something new each month, even when Titan's work had delays. Personally speaking, it was tough to work on the game, while also having to explain to family and fans why this project is taking so long to finish, while trying to remain positive. After a time, some hard decisions had to be made in order to move forward.

      Inviting Titan to work with me (in the other side of the world) was a good thought, but it wasn't enough. So, I had to drastically change the dynamic of our team, which so far seems to work in the game's favor. The progress we had since September is huge comparing to other months, and that should be obvious from my latest post here.

      The catch is that I'm very tired. But I'm still fighting with everything I got. So, thank you very much for the positive and uplifting lines! :)

      Delete
  2. Were there plans for both Ucogi and Alice to have sex scenes in the final game? I thought I remembered seeing early on that they would, but I'm curious if that's still a goal for the finished game or if through all the development plans for that may have changed?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Originally there weren't plans for that. But things changed as people pledged for sex scenes like the ones you described, even through cheating. I have already made a sex scene showing Ucogi and another one showing Alice having sex. I'd rather not spoil the reasons behind these scenes in the game, but I'm not sure if I have spill any details about it in my previous posts.

      Delete
  3. Huge task means you should give yourself 2-3 months additional time, maybe shoot for april

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even though I work with everything I got, and the daily progress is good, I won't be able to release Voms' game within 2021. Therefore, I currently I work to release a final Beta.

      Some times I do think out loud, or it's wishful thinking, or it's just a deadline I try to reach. Sometimes I'm even blind sighted or overestimate a deadline, just because I feel good about how hard I work. It's really hard to balance everything but I'm doing the best I can.

      Most times I do try to project the best case scenario without making any real promises. Because a lot of things can go wrong. I do however try to post the positive details of the progress. I prefer that the only negative things are the glitches I find in the game. And I can't admit even to my self that I may be at a breaking point.

      All I can do is make good progress every day and release any info, the beta or the game when ever it is possible.

      But you are right. Emotionally it's hard, but the numbers dont lie. Even by disregarding everything else, I have to go over 50 screens and finalize them before the final Beta release. And I might need a break, or I will break.

      But the plan is there, it's working and awesome progress is being made every day. I will post the details after Titan's 20 days are up.

      Delete
    2. I think the biggest thing is if you aren't getting compile errors, aren't getting test and play errors. Everything related to system core integration is nailed down in terms of interface text to gameplay transitions it is easier to manage and have an idea of the workload because there is no scopecreep with respect to things beyond artwork and animation that could creep up. I think inexperience (and this is not your fault) related to aspects of game engine integration and testing and debugging, introduces this scope creep which adds to high levels of self inflicted anxiety and pain.

      I don't know, I've dabbled in programming a bit, not a programmer, but I know the amount of mental stress the job entails and trying to provide some actual insightful ideas obviously none of which involve actual programming but maybe more in terms of project management with respect to knowledge of what it takes to produce a project of as monstrous proportions of this one successfully, especially on a first attempt.

      You both are great programmers, the task of designing a game like this is daunting, and most people would give up.

      Delete
    3. You are right. I'm glad that the game's programming doesnt get many test or play errors. And thankfully, Titan has fixed all of them so far. This is something that it should not be taken for granted.

      Delete
  4. Maybe "Huge Task" does not imply any indication of the potential scope creep but I would say as a numbskull, I can't really interpret what that means when its said.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since you asked, the final level design, would be a huge task because I have to do many things:

      Tile everything perfectly, add new art, parallax, collision boxes, test the puzzles and make sure everything is as it should be, considering all the playable characters with different moves. Also comes the enemy, NPC and power-up placement and scout for any missing sfx in the various objects. Polish anything I can. And playtest all that, and double check all that. And change anything that doesnt work.

      And I have to familiarize my self with Game Maker to do all that. While avoiding burnout. I can do it, no sweat!

      Delete
  5. I tested a lot of your game previously and found there were certain instances Voms would get stuck in extremely odd areas. Maybe this sounds weird but when testing i would try walking into objects and seeing if you can walk away from them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. in particular if the object is on a weird hill or something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you could use the ContactUs form and send me screenshots of the specific places that you got stuck, it would be very helpful.

      Delete