Wednesday, August 31, 2022

Melting heat

It is hard to explain it, but I didn't work a lot during August. I could blame the fierce heatwave, or that I was waiting on other things to happen for the game, or my mood, or that friends visited me as everyone had vacation time and wanted to see me or that I had a lot of real life paperwork to attend to. Or it's just burnout. Which is described as "a state of physical or emotional exhaustion that also involves a sense of reduced accomplishment". I found my self sleeping a lot and feel constantly tired. Even now as I type this.

That said, some progress was made. I bought new music and sound effects. Also Titan made some fixes in Golem's level and the Golem bossfight. I checked them, and they need even more corrections, as usual. Titan said he would figure out a way to work more during August but his plan didn't work out. So, all I got was only a bit of progress after a lot of waiting. Hopefully his plan can work in the months to come. Also, I proposed to him to meet again, even for 5 days, and work together once more. But I'm waiting his response.


In this video you can see the latest problems with Golem. During playtest, she glitched and Voms escaped. Titan explained to me the reason: "What's happening is that you're getting knocked down, not being grabbed immediately, pressing the button, and in the middle of getting up get caught. But you already "escaped" so the escape goes through."

Each MoGI and Boss may break some of the basic programming of the game, and sometimes special exceptions need to be created. Golem is the most recent example of that, and due to her exceptions in the code, new additions need to be made. It's hard to anticipate everything, but that's why we playtest and fix.

I know you all want to play the game, even a new playable demo. Please be patient for a little more. During September I would be absent, as I do need some vacation time and some change of scenery. Hopefully, when I return, Titan would have finish any tasks I have for him, and then it would be up to me to do my part. I still need to add new art and change a lot of the levels myself. I can't wait to return to the game with refreshed mind, spirit and motivation.

I would have more news, most probably on October.

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like it could be general adaptation syndrome, basically having too much cortisol in the system for too long and subsequent exhaustion.

    I've found I often have it when trying to meet deadlines for big tasks (like dissertations) I dread, want to avoid, and feel ashamed of. It's a bastard cycle because it ups the need for sleep as a stress response which then makes it harder to work on whatever I am avoiding (or stuck on), which leads me to more shame, which increases avoidance and urge for sleep.

    For me the best solution was forcing myself to sit down to work for 5-10 minutes as the urge to sleep and stress from avoidance then usually subsides after a few solid minutes. Still a bastard though, as I want to focus on anything but the task I have in front of me or sleep. Sleep rarely makes it better I've found as often I'm just as tired and had persecution themed dreams/nightmares. Typically doing a chunk of the work, alleviates *some* of the stress, and then allows one to get recuperative sleep.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You may be right. I found it very hard to work, and its true, it leads to more shame. I felt like I needed time for myself and thankfully I did manage to go to the gym for 1 full month. It might not sound like much, but it was a small win for me. Seeing the positives even when you are down, it's one of the best things you can do.

      Delete
    2. Well done managing the symptom with the gym. Also, if you ever take a grad program just ask about epic dissertation delays. Many folks have projects like this go on for *years*, I took 3+ years more than those in my program to complete mine. It was an epic rollercoaster of failures, drama, and ton of shame. It can be gotten through, but just remember there are a lot of folks in similar positions to you who had projects go on as long, if not longer than you before completing them. You'll get it done, and I bet you've learned an incredible amount about yourself, others, and projects like this in the process. Just keep at it, and keep talking about the shame and impostor syndrome if ya got it, it'll help you through this!

      Delete
  2. good work veins, keep going to the gym.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I went to the gym for a month and then they stopped for August's vacations. I hope that after my September's vacations, I will return refreshed, ready for the good fight. For the time being I just need a break from everything, even from my own mind.

      Delete