Tuesday, May 31, 2022

Slow Progress

I wish I had better news, but the past 2 months the progress was slow. Alice's Ai was a challenge, Titan was very busy, and the voice actress hasn't made Ucogi's voice yet. We are using SourceTree to update the game, and here's the dates and progress we made during April-May.


I know you are all waiting for a beta, or an update. This is painful because I am waiting for things to get done as well. My programmer sometimes promises deadlines that he can't meet for various reasons and that delays the development of the game. This month was very nerve-wracking, as I was waiting and waiting for some progress. The following Skype messages are between me and Titan, the programmer. It shows how days fly by, and sadly that is just a glimpse of the whole story.

All that said, I'm not pointing fingers. I'm explaining the situation. I do have to do many things on my own and this waiting and pressure is killing my creative mood. But I try to keep my chin up and be professional. Some of the challenges I'm facing has to do with the sound. I got some good voice samples but they do need to be edited and placed in the game, and tested and if they are not good enough, I have to repeat the process.

I made a rough video regarding Alice's progress and I tried to show off some of the new sfx. The sound in the video is quite out of synch but it was a hassle to fix, so I left it as it was. Still, you can see the improvements since last month. One of the biggest changes is that the soldiers used to be black and now they are white (in the story, the black soldiers appear later). When progress is made, feels really good. The background looks bad, it's one of the designs that I have to re-do.


This waiting made me think and reconsider. I know now that I need to give the least amount of work to anyone else involved in this project. And to do the best I can with what I got. I have to find a balance what is important and what can be shown in other ways. For example, I wanted to have a mini-boss in the farms, as a story beat, world building and change of pace. I can compromise and have an NPC dialogue, without the fight. Which means that the programmer won't struggle for another 5 days to deal with this, and he can work towards completing more important things.

These are my thoughts for now. What remains to be done? Programming-wise we have to finish Alice, Stheno, Succubus 2 and the ending presentation. The title video needs some sound work as it is out of synch. I need to re-check Succubus, Red and Golem Bosses. We need to add 3-4 dialogue cut-scenes, and a new cheat menu. These are the most important things for now. We are almost at the finish line. 

Of course bugs and corrections are unavoidable, and I do have to fix the design aspects of levels and dialogues. But Voms' timeline is really close to an end. Once the programming is completed, everything else should be a breeze.


19 comments:

  1. You've been "almost at the finish line" for several years already...

    The last complete Beta was released 3.5 years ago!!! A lot of things have been made since then, but there was no any chance for us to see the result! We can't give you any solutions without playing your game for so long! Your updates here give us only a small amount of information, so PLEASE put aside any minor improvements you are working on right now and concentrate all your resorses on new Beta update! Otherwise this game will never be completed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right. I really do want to release a last Beta and get feedback. But there are hiccups.

      I'm trying to balance things. It's hard to decide if I should focus on the final release or the next Beta release. Sometimes things look good and progress is being made, and other times things seem desperate, and I feel like I need to finish the whole game before everything starts falling apart. So I'm handling it as best as I can given the circumstances.

      Delete
  2. No matter what anyone tells you, don't stop there. No matter how you are scolded for supposedly "very long progress", you should not despair. I was able to wait for the last 4 years, I waited for the update, you were able to wait for the release of a new beta version for these 4 years, which means we will wait for another 4 years. The main thing is not to stop and not to give up.
    ... maybe you should stop for a week or two and rest?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't really stop. Even when I'm taking breaks I'm watching videos on how to improve the story, or I'm working on things in the back of my head. I went away for a weekend and I took photos of a forest and a river so that I can improve the game. Maybe I'm a workaholic.

      Today it was a good day. I got Ucogi's voice from the actress and my programmer was working on the cheat menu and a few other things. I love days like these!

      Delete
    2. Oh, so in the future we can see landscapes similar to real ones? Sounds cool!

      Delete
    3. In a way yes. Let me give you an example. The horizontal pipe (right after Oak) provides a second platforming layer. I added that because the game felt a bit flat, and it was inspired by a similar huge pipe I saw on an excursion, a few years ago.

      Delete
    4. Wow, how it turns out to work ... hmm, but it would be nice if one of the locations of the island would be a reference to something real... Could it be?

      Delete
    5. I never mentioned this before to anyone, but the Communications Tower exterior in the game, is inspired by Tower Praha (Zizkov Tower) in Prague ;)

      Delete
    6. Cool! It's really cool! Well, then I'm waiting for new locations that you will make, inspired by landscapes from life

      Delete
  3. Thank you my friend. I do my best.
    Yesterday I was testing the Golem boss and a lift made her walk on the air. Fun unpredictable stuff. That I have to fix ><

    ReplyDelete
  4. In my personal opinion I think that you should do things at your own pace as no matter how long it takes doing it that way will result in a better game overall. I love your work and I hope you love what you are making.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Yes I love what I'm making. I have put my soul into this.

      Delete
  5. Honestly I'm just forward to Alice sex scenes, but I've waited a lot for that, so no hurry if it still takes it's time. I'm sure you're doing the best you can!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to show Alice in her playthrough.

      Delete
  6. let me ask you so do you really want to release a final Mogi origins beta in november or december?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't understand the nature of this question. What I want is a bit irrelevant to reality. But to answer your question, I would like to release this game as soon as possible.

      Delete
    2. Dezember 2025

      Delete
  7. you gotta retain the knowledge developed from this project. there was too much emotional investment.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your the best bro keep it up

    ReplyDelete